If you can learn how to make homemade floor wax, you can end up saving yourself a lot of money. It is also beneficial to make it yourself to make sure that no harmful chemicals are included. This can be beneficial for keeping your home safe and your floors looking like they were professionally done all at the same time. It will also ensure you that all natural ingredients are used in its making. Other benefits are that it will smell wonderful. It is good for floors with a wood finish and ecologically responsible. Learning how to make homemade floorwax is a relatively simple process that is very rewarding.
Ingredients You Need
You will need these ingredients if you want to know how to make homemade floor wax. Her are the things you need to buy:
- [amazon link=”B06Y2GVW5Z” title=”Lavender oil” /]
- Olive oil
- Carnauba wax
- [amazon link=”B0015R7VY0″ title=”Lemon oil” /]
[amazon box=”B06Y2GVW5Z,B07BQK9K4B,B00455IWK6,B0037MM4PC,B0015R7VY0″ template=”list”]
These products are available online or you may find them at a local store that sells natural food and food by-products. It is optional but you may want to add some lemon oil to your floor wax too. This additional oil will be added later and will work to enhance the smell but is not a necessary ingredient.
You will need to use a double boiler to melt some of the ingredients properly.
[amazon box=”B0046K5ZS2″ template=”horizontal”]
If you do not have a double boiler you can make your own. You will need a cooking pot and also a bowl that is safe to use in the oven. You will place water in the pot and put a low heat under it. Then situate the bowl on the top of the pot. Using this method to melt the ingredients together will help prevent burning and will also melt the waxes more slowly. This step can be altered later after you have made it a few times and are more familiar with the process. But, it is an important step when you want to learn how to make homemade floor wax.
- The night before you start making your floor wax, you will need to mix together one cup of olive oil and 20 drops of lavender oil. You will want to set this aside to allow the two oils to mix together properly. It needs to sit about 12 hours minimum before mixing it with other ingredients.
- The next day, you are then ready to grate one and a half ounces of beeswax up into a small bowl. Break two ounces of carnauba wax in with it. In order to get the carnauba wax to break up easily, you can put it in a freezer bag and pound it with a rolling pin. It sounds harsh, but it will break up easily into very small pieces.
- Put the waxes and the oil that was set aside previously all into the double boiler. These will slowly melt together. Keep stirring the ingredients with a wooden spoon and continue stirring until it is all mixed together thoroughly.
- After the melted mixture is smoothly mixed and melted together, add 20 drops of lemon oil or lavender oil. Continue to stir until it is mixed in. This is simply to add fragrance and is not essential to the floor wax.
- Let the mixture cool off enough so that you can handle it. You need to be able to pour it into another container safely. After it is cooled adequately, pour it into a glass jar.
So there you go. In just 5 simple steps, you have just learned how to make homemade floor wax.